Reflection
Before I enter into this reflection, I just want to say that I really appreciated you, Dr. Weaver for your understanding a week ago when I went to the emergency room with chest pains. While at the hospital, before all the tests, I thought that I was having a heart attack. I really thought that my time was up. However, thank God, the tests were all negative and they could not find out why I was having such pain. By the end of the week, I was not having chest pains anymore. I believe now that I have having an anxiety attack. My reflection at that time was thinking about how I would not finish school, would not see my children, grandchildren and great grandchild or any future great-grandchildren. Now, here is my reflection on what I have learned in the course.
From
our very first assignment, I was fascinated about how much research done and
for the length of time; this research has been going on since Pluto and
Aristotle. Even though they did not
agree on how the brain worked, they both were indeed on the right track. Since research studies on the mind and brain
and how we learn functions to relearning about the two hemispheres of the brain. Then at the turn of the 20th century
we had other theorist came up with the theories of behaviorism, cognitivism,
constructionism and motivation. This
allowed me to understand on why I did not do well in math, however, I exceeded
in history, speech and electronics. Even
though I feel that I was still learning these subjects under the cognitivism
and constructivism, I now know that I was also using motivation as a tool. These theories also taught me on how my
children learned in school.
I now know that I do not
have to limit my learning to cognitivism or constructivism as an online student
I know that I can use connectivism and used motivation to achieve my goals.
The connection I have
learned is that there is not one theory that used, but a number of theories and
learning styles according to the ability introduced to the student for their
overall success. There are other techniques
such as curb text anxiety and the motivation to achieve. In our readings (Brophy, 1986; Wlodkowski
1978) “when students know they will have a chance to correct their errors, they
are more likely to take on challenging, risky tasks” (Laureate Education, 2013) .
I know that this is the groundwork
for my learning steps as I progress though my curriculum. I have a foundation of knowing the theories
learned in this course and future courses here at Walden. I know that being in the field of instructional
design and technology, this is just my first of many steps to enable me to
teach our children and adults that there is no certain age when learning can
begin or end.
References
Laureate Education. (2013). Motivation and Effect.
In I. Laureate Education, Learning Theories and Instruction (pp.
223-261). Merrill.
No comments:
Post a Comment